Tuesday, January 30, 2007

What a project!!

I keep telling myself lately to keep things simple, especially in my paper crafts projects...and although I tried to do that with this mailbox project it took me FOREVER!!!!! I keep flip flopping between thinking this is too busy and thinking it looks too simple!! I'm never happy, I guess!!! I'm my own worst critic!!
This is one of the infamous Target $1 spot mailboxes...I made this one for DD#2 since she is always left until last and will make the next one for DD#1 when I have a few spare hours!! ;-)


side view:
back view: flag view:
I used paper from a Provo Craft slab for seasons and celebrations...it is a more cutesy pack than most of their other slabs...I used two sided tape to adhere the paper to the mail box. I used the same, but thinner version, of the tape to adhere the ribbon or to make things short - to adhere everything!!! The heart on the side (main) view is a sizzix heart, cut from white paper and chipboard, adhered together and then stamped in red craft ink...I then heat embossed it with red powder...the hearts on the front view and back view are stamped with red craft ink using the heart from mini messages (SU!) and heat embossed with red powder as well. I added 39 in white gel pen (black marker for the rear) and cut them with a postage stamp punch. The flag has the same sizzix heart as the side, mounted on chipboard except that the red is velvet ribbon.
The big change I made to the box is that I used my Crop-a-dile to cut a hole in the very top of the box...wow does that thing cut through things like butter!!! I then threaded some ribbon through, made a knot on the inside and then attached the other end to another heart mounted on chipboard...I added some velcro to the heart and the box and that is my closure! The "A" for dd#2 is also mounted on chipboard and is from the Sizzix lollipop alpha.
So there you have it, my first mailbox. I haven't decided if dd#1 will get the same or not...I think I need to think about that one! In the meantime, I need to make a kids b-day card and I've been itching to make another shadow box card - those things are fun and COOL!!!!!
See you soon...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails