Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Color Challenges and Simple Cards...

I was visiting over at the Papertrey gallery and saw a simple card by Nichole Heady that gave me an idea for some simple cards to showcase some of the DRS sentiment stamps...


Here they are:

I started with two simple baby cards - one boy...
and one girl! Same layout, different colors.




I had some scrap patterned paper in blue and the same in pink so that gave me a starting point. I stamped the sentiment in black...used my slit punch for the corners and added some jewels. The butterflies are stamped in chalk ink, cut out, outlined with stardust pen and then adhered to the card with a brad. I folded the wings up so it had a 3-d effect. I pierced the top layer before adhering to the white base and outlined the piercings with my stardust pen as well.

Next is a wedding card, same idea, I changed up the layout just a little...

I found another scrap of patterned paper - the colors actually look much better together in real life! I stamped the butterfly again with chalk ink, cut out, outlined and attached with a brad.

Today is Tuesday - color challenge day over at SCS - today was a two-fer!! Two repeat challenges with a request to send our challenge cards (or any others I'm sure) to Beate and Daven - the backbones of the SCS site...http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237659



For Daven...

While visiting another blog I saw a snoopy image that was paper pieced onto a kraft piece and just knew I had to give it a try...I love the look it produces. I thought Snoopy/Joe Cool would be a great focal point for this card...I stamped snoopy, colored him, cut him out and mounted him on the kraft...added a piece of white and then mounted him onto the black scallop which is actually two scallop punches adhered together...I typically cut the the very ends off each punch so that the big "bubble" on the corners are taken away and the look is much smoother. I put a piece of black into my cuttlebug birthday folder, attached it with brads...the entire top panel, red and black are mounted on pieces of leftover stamp rubber. The sentiment is from the first Papertray set...I added the charm because it just seemed to need something. The charm is from Oriental Trading and was originally blue and green...not the challenge colors! Thank goodness for Sharpies!!! I attached it with a tiny brad...trying to make it look like he is trying to hide it behind his back!

And for Beate...

Sorry it looks so far away...on the SCS site it is much closer! I had a rough start with this one...my original idea was scrapped...literally! I am very pleased with this outcome though, if I do say so myself! I used my wave scissors on the bottom, again used the Papertray sentiment. I adhered some ribbon to soften the break between colors at the bottom and near the top. I originally planned on the entire top portion to be pink but something told me to just cut it off and mount the focal point so it hangs over...clear as mud?! The flourishes are by Autumn Leaves - found them at Target last week along with the flower punch - I think this punch is the coolest thing! I added some Primas that I found at Target too...matched the challenge perfectly! Of course I added some jewels to the flower centers and pierced the top...I sponged some pretty in pink on the edges of the focal point to soften that as well.

Whew, what a day for cards!!! It's still on my list to post some scrapbook pages...I'm really enjoying working on my Heritage book...although my mom doesn't scrapbook and shudders every time she enters my workshop, she seems to be having a good time searching for photos and mementos and having photos, etc... reproduced for use in the book...I know she can't wait for it to be done...it will be a while though...I just finished up WWI...

Hope your week is going well...see you soon...

2 comments:

Kristine said...

*gasping* holy smokes, girl!! That is just the most gorgeous card!! WOW! I'm sooo loving that flower punch and primas and that flourish stamp! TDF :0) I WISH I had a Target store here! (or a Michael's or even a Wal-mart!) This is so pretty!! Can I add any more exclamation points here??!!! Lol!!

Allison Rankin said...

Wow...what output! Those first cards are so simple yet striking but that last one is da bomb...I am envious of this one!

Related Posts with Thumbnails