Thursday, December 14, 2006

Finally...

a card I can say I really like how it turned out! This is for this weeks sketch challenge #102 at SCS - found here...http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206149




Since I'm getting tired of/feeling burnt out making Holiday cards I thought I would venture into something different for this challenge. We have a friend who is celebrating her birthday the day after Xmas and figured this was a good opportunity to make her a card. I originally had celery, red and olive out but then figured that just because her birthday is the day after Xmas she doesn't necessarily need a card with Xmas colors, in fact she might be sick of the fact that her birthday is always associated with Xmas so I changed my plans! I knew I wanted celery so I just had to pick two more colors...I also knew I wanted to use my Michaels $1 cake and while looking at it realized that the colors on the stamp sticker would be perfect for my card so that is what I went with - or at least a version of it!


I used vintage violet for my base layer...ran my celery through my Sizzix using my Cuttlebug birthday embossing folder (I love these things!). I stamped the cake on SU! shimmer white and mounted that on a roughed up piece of VV...I originally was going to use my scallop oval but decided to do something different for a change! I stamped the solid circle from little pieces with white craft ink on the turquoise piece and then I tied the polka dottie ribbon from Michaels around the turquoise piece, adhered that to my celery...I stamped little pieces on the shimmer paper, punched them and then punched two more circles in graduated sizes ( I roughed up the bottom circle on each of these using my scissors)...you probably can't tell but the cake and its mat and the top two little pieces layers on each are raised on leftover stamp rubber. I pierced some holes on the top and bottom of the cake mat and only on the center circle...of course I added jewels for the fact that it is a female birthday!


After all that it seemed like there was something missing, but what?...more ribbon? No...more jewels or eyelets/brads....not really...I felt it was busy enough with the embossing...then I remembered what I did on a previous card...I used my slit punch to punch the corners like the SU! ticket corner punch (is that what it is called?!) and added a white gel pen dot in each corner. DONE! Now, I'm happy!!
Thanks for visiting...see you soon!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails