Saturday, March 10, 2007

Getting back on track!

Ok, where was I?! Wow, time sure does fly! As usual, things have been busy...dd had her b-ball playoffs today and....they lost! So sad, the girls season is now over and they only lost by two points! Here's hoping they have better luck next year!

Back to business!

Since I was here last, I completed two cards for the ways to use it challenge to use fabric and one limited supplies challenge to only use bright colors!
First the ways to use it cards:
I have a bit of a stash of some fat quarters I picked up here and there that I thought were cute so I decided to use a piece for this card - I thought this gray was perfect for my Sizzix elephant...of course elephants don't forget birthdays! so I added "didn't forget" with my snap stamps. The balloon is a Michaels clear $1 stamp that embossed with purple craft ink and clear powder. I embossed my pink background with my birthday cuttlebug folder and used a cuttlebug die to cut the area above the sentiment...the pink is raised on pop dots. The balloon is too. I added a felt ear and some ribbons, a jewel, some faux stitching and used the frayed ribbon technique from earlier in the week for the grass...I added some MM flower brads - I think I need to add a little more down there...maybe before/if/when I sent it out!!
All images from here on in are by DRS Designs - link on the right - check them out for all these cool images and more!!!
The next one for this challenge I actually did this afternoon after a long, sob filled car ride home from the game! I saw a card on SCS that used cross stitch fabric, that I knew I had, and I just had to give it a try. I keep thinking it looks a little plain but then if I added more, it might be too busy! Ever have weeks when everything you make feels like that?! This is one of them!

I stamped with black stazon onto the fabric and colored with my brush dipped in water and then rubbed on my watercolor crayons. I really like how it took to the fabric and didn't bleed. I used a sharpie for the corners...the patterned paper was a scrap I had laying around...I used my stardust pen on some of the stems. The sentiment is stamped in black craft and embossed...it is the first line of the wedding sentiment from DRS that I have used in the last week or two...the remainder is stamped on the inside of the card. The focal point is popped and I added some wide grosgrain ribbon with gingham tied on top.

Next was the limited supply challenge - brights only!
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231048

Don't get me wrong, I like bright colors but sometimes I don't always pick the best combo!!! In my head, this one looked alot better!



I saw a card on Sarah Vrolyks blog - link on the right and was inspired by it...so I gave it a whirl...the dots and sentiment are stamped in turquoise and the corner flower in black...I stamped on a transparency with orange stazon. After cutting a square out of the front of my card, I adhered the transparency with brads, did a little piercing and done! Quick, easy but I'm not loving the colors! Maybe a different combo would have been better but I was short on time...what else is new?! Who isn't these days!

My last photo for you tonight is a non card project!

I found these cute kraft file folders in Target while I was strolling through...by myself!, while dd#2 was in dance last week...only 99 cents! What a bargain - in the office supply section, not the $1, sorry, $2.50 spot! (That should be the topic of another post!!! ;-) )

Anywho...I stamped with classic inks, added some jewels and some ribbon for the outside...the front, side and back are stamped. Then for the inserts, I stamped with black classic ink for the swirl/flourish. The flowers I stamped in black on red and embossed, cut them out, colored their centers with my stardust pen and then adhered them to the tabs. The container snaps shut and I added a jewel there too! They come in other lid/flap colors as well.

One altered item out of, oh I don't know 200 stashed in the closet!!!!, done!

Don't forget to turn your clocks ahead tonight...why are we doing it early??? Oh, just to throw all the computers into wonkiness, of course!!! How silly of me to forget!!!

Hope you're having a good weekend and all is well...see you soon...

7 comments:

Stefanie said...

That is such a cute box Cathy and it came just in the nick of time. I am in a swap where I need to make 15 3-d items. I went to two Targets yesterday to get enough. I'll post when I'm done. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I love your cards Cathy they are fab... I especially like the one you did on the aida... I would never have thought of stamping on that... maybe I will give it a go myself. Thank you for inspiring me.

Anonymous said...

love it - love the Aida cloth one so much!! :) well done

Anonymous said...

Congrats! We included this post in our latest "Fabric Challenge" Carnival over at Craft Critique! If you'd like to share the "link-back love" we'd welcome it! Just post about the carnival on your blog this week... use this link...

Craft Critique Fabric Challenge Carnival!

Thanks so much for writing such a great post!

Cindy @ Creating at Home said...

Your aida cloth card is simply stunning! What a great idea to stamp and then watercolor on it!

Cindy
Craft Critique Reporter

Stefanie said...

Hi Cathy,

Here's my altered Target boxes:

Stef's Boxes

Thanks again for the idea!!

Maggie Lamarre said...

oooooh I luv the file boxes going to get some.
Maggie

Related Posts with Thumbnails